Πέμπτη 29 Ιανουαρίου 2015

Trouble with Teri

January 28th, 2015






Why is Teri hurt?  Well the truth is I don’t know why.  I don’t know where she came from, who had her, why she was abandoned nor do I know the who, what or how of the condition of her hurt leg.  All I know is that I received a call from someone informing me that a new stray has shown up in her neighbourhoo; the stray is a female who is very thin and timid.  The person who called me said…” I didn’t want to feed her but I felt sorry for her because she was so thin.  I didn’t want her to hang around and cause trouble with the neighbours….but she was so thin so I gave her something to eat.  The next day she had a hurt leg.  I think it is broken so I thought of calling you for help.”   
   
 I headed out to see the dog in question and I found a timid female, terrier mix curled up in the corner of an open garage; her front left leg badly hurt.  Once she saw me she started to run but as she passed by I got low on my haunches and made a quiet whistle.  She turned, looked my way and approached slowly.  Once she realized I meant no harm she allowed me to touch her as she turned to her side curling up to calm herself.  Thankfully her leg is not broken but she has a nasty surface wound and her foot is a bit swollen.  Antibiotics will do the trick and she will be fine.  I named her Teri and it was obvious by the mark left in the fur around her neck that she had worn a collar, perhaps she had been tethered somewhere.
    So…as I wrote above I don’t know anything about Teri’s history but I can pretty much tell you what will happen next.  We are going to treat her with antibiotics and her leg will recover.  We will do her vaccinations and give her a worm pill.  When we raise some money we will take her to the vet to have her spayed.  A few people in the neighbourhood will feed her; however, more people from the neighbourhood will be annoyed by her presence.  Then one day she will disappear or we will find her dead either by poison or a car.  I have seen this more times than I care to remember.  Why?  Because most of the time, as we are now, we are too full to take in anymore dogs.  We take in more dogs than we find homes for.  There are more strays on the streets than we can help. We have very few volunteers and very few people are willing to help beyond the phone call.  So we will monitor Teri, help with her feedings and hope for the best…UNLESS…..unless you want to help.  How can you help?  If you are thinking about getting a pet you might consider adopting one of our dogs either through us or Gaia Dogs (http://www.gaiadogs.org/ ) so that spaces can open up so we can take in Teri or perhaps you would like to adopt Teri yourself.  You can also share her story to give her and our cause more exposure in the hopes that more people may respond …you may also donate to FOR THE STRAYS through paypal at tinakanellos2@hotmail.com (note- Teri) so we can  extend our help to more strays in need.  In the mean time…Teri needs our help.




  If you would like to find out more information write to me at tinakan2@gmail.com

Thank you
K.K.
For the Strays    

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου