Σάββατο 1 Φεβρουαρίου 2014

Dias Needs to Fly....with Dixie


Dias as a puppy.
    

      Dias is a wonderful and lucky dog. He was abandoned along with four of his siblings on the side of the road when he was about a month and a half old, in the spring of 2013.  He stood out from the rest of the litter right from the start.  He was bigger, fluffier and feistier.  Unfortunately, not all of his siblings have a happy ending but Dias is about to.  A family from Canada has fallen in love with him and they want to give him a forever home.  There is a problem, however, Dias, right now, is in Greece.  On February 7th he needs to be on a plane to transport him to his new life of bliss.  He and I need all the help we can get to put Dias on that plane.  


Dias (far right) with two of his siblings.  His two siblings did not make it; the middle one, hit by a car and the other found dead, causes unknown.





     Why all the way to Canada?  Due to the economic crisis, disposable incomes have been squeezed dry and Greece's hard-pressed consumers are forced to cut down on spending across the board.  Companion animals are very low on many people’s priority list and abandonment has risen, adding to the already huge stray population. They are one of the victims of the crisis.  Any opportunity that an animal may have for a better life must be taken.  Here in Greece the chances are not very good.  Every life is precious.  Every life deserves a chance and this is Dias' moment. 

    As an animal rescuer every spare penny goes to what I do.  It is a never ending battle.  Dias was abandoned having started off life with the odds against him.  The odds have turned in his favour and I ask for your help to get him to his forever home.  I would never ask for myself but for my rescues I would go beyond.  They can not ask for themselves.  Every small donation will bring us closer to our goal. 

Dias as he is now.... 


    The cost of his ticket is roughly €600 to fly freight with KLM.  I will be driving from the southwest coast of the Peloponnese, to Athens to put him on his flight.  Gas expenses, travel documents and vet expenses I will take care of myself.  Please help me get Dias into the arms of his new family.

 
   If you believe Dias should have his chance, you may send any donation for his flight via Paypal to tinakanellos2@hotmail.com.  

  If you have any questions please do ask in the comments. 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
 Konstantina.
     
... waiting to be adopted.



 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on Dias’ flight,
06/02/2014


     Unfortunately, Dias won’t fly….at least not now.  We have been scrambling with last minute paperwork to make sure that all would be in order but this is not where the problem has come from.  We do not have a crate for Dias to fly in.  Dias is a large dog and he needs a large crate.  I have a crate perfect for Dias but after it was last used, I got it back with a hole.  It will not pass inspection.  The wonderful lady in Athens, Litsa, who is helping with Dias' travel arrangements, also recently received a load of crates back and 7 of them, too, came back with holes!  


      With the cost for Dias travel already being an issue I can not afford to purchase a new crate before Friday.  We are all disappointed.  My primary concern is the family in Canada who has been anticipating Dias' arrival.   The family had even asked for his measurements so they could purchase a doggie coat for Dias to wear upon arrival because it is darn cold in Canada.  A kind of cold that Dias has not felt before.  

     Dias won’t be travelling on Friday, but we are working on a new date and on getting a crate.  I ask for your continued support for his travel.  Costs are the main hurdle in getting him to his new home.   I am truly grateful to the few donations I have gotten.   Every penny is a step to getting Dias to Canada and to a happier life. 
  
I will continue to keep you posted. 
Thank you.





MARCH 3 UPDATE
Adorable Dixie will join Dias.

I HAVE GOOD NEWS!   Dias not only has a new date of departure, March 28th, he also has a travel buddy. Dixie has been adopted as well!! After my last update, we needed a crate for Dias.  I was able to get Dias a crate with the help of the donations and there are €50 left over.  Dixie will borrow a crate and we are all set there.  Now, I need all the help I can get to raise the money for both of them to fly.  Please, help Dixie and Dias fly to a better life.  Their chances of finding good homes here in Greece are pretty slim. This is their chance, through paypal, tinakanellos2@hotmail.com.














March 29th, UPDATE.

 
At the Athens airport.

    

It finally came, March 28th, the day to fly and what a long day it was.  The car was loaded up with all we needed; Dixie and Dias where comfortable in their spots; we were on the road for Athens at 6am.  We had arranged to be at the airport to meet with Litsa, for noon.  This left us with plenty of time to drive safely from Filiatra (a drive which under normal circumstances takes 3 1/2 hours) and make a few stops along the way to let the dogs out to strech their legs. After that they had a long trip to Canada with an intermittent stop in Amsterdam. 

     The days leading up to their departure saw me giving them lots of extra hugs and kisses.  Dixie and Dias were the two youngest dogs of my pack and most often in play mode; they riled up the whole pack into run, chase and tumble. It is going to be less active around here with them gone. They are country bumpkins and have never seen the big city.  The hustle and bustle at the airport made them a little anxious. Once there they felt secure staying close to my side and each other.  We have been through a great deal, as with all my rescues.   As their crates were closed in preparation for them to be wheeled away, it was difficult on me and them. I swallowed hard over the lump in my throat; I bit down on my lower lip to hold back the tears. They are going to a better future and it makes me very happy that I was able to get them to this point in their lives. I will never forget them.  I love you Dixie and Dias. 

Dixie, a little timid.

   
As I have said before, great things can never be accomplished alone so I want to thank: Litsa Kalaitzi for all her help with the paper work and the airport procedures; Dianne Aldan founder of Tails From Greece Rescue in Toronto and her passion for finding great homes for Greek strays; Orsalia Hatzi who accompanied us to Athens to help out any way she could; and  finally the individuals who donated to help out with the costs.  Thank you.    











 LATER ON SAME DAY......
       I can not keep my thoughts off of Dixie and Dias all day, tracking in my mind at what part of their journey they would be.  Calculating the estimated time of arrival and the time difference between Greece and Canada I have made many trips to my computer to check my e-mails.  I have stayed up way passed my normal sleep time waiting for the news and am heading off to bed without hearing anything as of yet.  I know they are okay, the airlines take good care of the dogs.  In the morning when I will awake, I am sure to see pictures of them with their new families!!  I Can't wait!!



March 30th, 2014.

  They arrived and all is well! 
    


 Meet Dias' and Dixies' new families.  The news so far is that they are adjusting well.  The great thing about dogs is that they keep moving forward!!  Gotta love this. 







 






 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου