Πέμπτη 13 Φεβρουαρίου 2014

Meet My Pack




  How would you like to meet my pack; seven dogs and three cats?  I tell them everyday how lucky I am that they are in my life.  They have a great deal to give.  They are listed here in no particular order. Neither one is lesser nor greater than the other.  Each one has his/her own personality.  Each one has something different to bring to our family.

So without further ado....


Kanellos was abandoned as an adult.  He was hit by a car and left on the side of the road.  Luckily he only had minor nerve damage to his hind legs.  After approx. 20 days of not being able to get up, he slowly made his come back.  That was over six years ago.  He is roughly 9 years old. Kanellos is a permanent resident pack member.

 
 If you read my previous post you remember Mouzi's story.  She was found wandering, thin, a mess and with plastic tie wrap around her neck. During surgery it was discovered that she had been shot with an airgun and the projectile had lodged in such a way, attaching the uterus to her intestine. Mouzi is around 10 years old. Mouzi is also a permenant pack member.
Alepou (Fox) was around 2 months of age when I heard her cries, May of 2011.  She had lost the majority of her fur due to mange, was covered with tics and fleas and very thin.  Despite her condition, she was very spunky and alert (hence the name).  She is now almost three, has made her way up to be one of the top dogs in the pack and is a  permanent pack member. 

Layla was found during a rain storm, November, 2006.  She was just 15 DAYS old, crying and going around in circles near a garbage bin where she had been dumped.  When I picked up her tiny, cold and wet body, there were two ladies watching and laughing.  An older man walking by saw me holding her and suggested I throw her INSIDE the trash bin!  I won't explain how our conversation went after that. Layla is a permanent resident pack member. She is smart, wonderful and gives really nice kisses. I love you Layla!


Bobby was found a year ago last October ... or rather, he found us.  I was woken in the middle of the night by the barks of the other dogs.  I went outside to investigate and saw two little eyes peering through the darkness on the other side of the fence.  There he was, a 3 month old puppy, dragging a rope around his neck.  He had a distinct smell of sheep, was quite thin and frightened.  He is a mild tempered, easy going guy who loves to hang out. Bobby is up for adoption.


Dias was abandoned, in the spring of 2013, along with four of his siblings on the side of the road when he was about a month and a half old.  He stood out from the rest of the litter right from the start.  He was bigger, fluffier and feistier.  Unfortunately, not all of his siblings have a happy ending but Dias will.  Dias has found a family but we need help, please read ... http://forthestrays.blogspot.gr/2014/02/dia-needs-to-fly.html

Please meet the animated and bouncy Dixie!  She was abandoned the spring of 2012 along with 7 other siblings when they were around 30 days old.  She is super sweet, constantly makeing me laugh with her zippiness.  She is up for adoption. 

This intense looking guy is Stratos.  He was found along with his brother (below) in the middle of the road when they were two and a half weeks old.  We almost ran over them!!! He is a huge cuddler and thinks he owns the place...... perhaps he is right.  He is a permanant family member; 5 years old.

Anestis is the one who is always getting into trouble.  His favourite time is bedtime when he cuddles in the space between my arm and body, kneading with his paws until he falls asleep. Anestis is a permanent family member; 5 years old.


Last but not least is Zozo.  One day, late this passed summer, my husband went to the bakery to pick up some bread.  From out of nowhere this little ball of fur and bones came and sat next to his foot.  She was about three weeks old, very scraggly, had already lost one eye and the other eye was badly infected.   He picked her up, put her in his shirt and when he came home he handed me the bread with one hand and Zozo with other.  


     
At our house, dogs and cats are always coming and going. Besides the animals you see here, you will find one or more strays outside of my yard or in the house, a dog in recovery from what ever he/she needs to recover from.  At this time, Bogart the puppy's whose paw was driven over by a car, as mentioned in my last post, is also sharing a space in our home. He, too, is looking for a forever home. Here he is  (left) doing very well ... posing like a pro.

Outside the yard is Black Jack, a gorgeous Belgian Shepherd, who made his way here, in September, from who knows where.  He is waiting for a spot to open so he may come in.  The longer he is outside, the greater the risk that somthing will happen to him.  






   That is it for now. Thank you for taking the time to meet my pack.   It is just about meal time and all these hungry mouths are getting excited.  Till next time ....

K.K.


 Sun. April 13/2014 


  My pack is less a great dog.

     Today was a very sad day.  This morning my husband found Kanellos with an extremely bloated abdomen. He was in a great deal of pain. It is Sunday, the animal clinic is closed so I had to call my vet .  When I explained the symptoms, he said he would meet me at the clinic in 50  minutes. Once there, X-rays were done.  They revealed that his stomach was twisted. I don't want to go over the details and live it again but in the end I had to say a forever good bye.  It was very difficult. Kanellos, I miss you.  You were my little clown.










   While I am updating about my pack, I should mention, for readers who have not read, that Dias and Dixie were  adopted at the end of last month.  You may enjoy reading their story - http://forthestrays.blogspot.gr/2014/02/dia-needs-to-fly.html.  Bogart the puppy with the hurt paw above has also been adopted.  Knowing they are out there living well is amazing.


   When I was sure that Dias and Dixie were going to good homes, a spot opened for Black Jack.  He is an amazing dog. I have been working with him and he is learning fast.

  I can't remember the last time my pack at home was so small.  Five dogs, and three cat....there is a sense of emptiness.

K.K.

  

 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου