Παρασκευή 20 Ιουνίου 2014

The Final Days of Finn








 I named him Finn, I don’t know why … it just came to me.  A few days back, my pack created a huge commotion as I barely heard a car drive off.  I am leery of people dumping dogs close to my house so I suspected as much.  I made my way out to the road and there, opposite me, he stood frozen; a ghost of a dog.  He looked so fragile.  I didn’t want to scare him so I approached accordingly to make him comfortable.
 Soon, I was at his side and talking in his ear.  Checking him over it was obvious by the mark on his neck he had been tethered somewhere; that someone had at least considered to use some sort of external parasite control as he had no ticks or fleas, yet by the look of him it was obvious he had full blown leishmania and all the complications, (as it was later confirmed at the vet).  I put him in the shade and gave him food and water in which he showed no interest. 



  He was a Gekas, Greek Ixnilatis (tracker) or hare hound. Taking a drive through rural Greece you will notice them permanently tied up to some object. A great number of them spend their whole lives in one spot except during hunting season. Finn was old. He probably worked hard hunting for someone all of his life. Now, when he could not do that any more, he was of no use. For what ever justifications, his owner couldn’t have been bothered with taking him to the vet when Finn first showed signs of being sick.  If they had done so early enough he would have probably done well on therapy.  Now, his liver is destroyed and his body has withered to nothing.  

     I hope that for the very short time he was with me I was able to show him the love he may not have gotten.  He really enjoyed curling up in my arms.  I would whisper in his ear and he would lean his head against my chin.  I would tell him how handsome he was and what ever else came to my mind to sooth him.  He seemed excited around feeding time by the smell of the food I prepared but after a few bites he would eat no more. Although I didn’t think it was possible, everyday he just got thinner and it was time to say goodbye. His last visit to the vet… I held him in my arms as he slipped peacefully away  to a place he would have no more pain … Goodbye Finn, I am glad that we met, I hope that at least for these few days you felt some love. 

   As a final thought,  I can’t help but wonder how many people had seen Finn getting sicker and sicker.  How many of his owner’s friends, relatives or other passersby saw him and did nothing.  If one person had stood up for Finn maybe this wouldn’t have happened to him. I don't know for sure but just maybe.  Please, if you see neglect or any other kind of abuse, speak up for the voiceless. Let's not forget dog's like Finn and the message they carry with them.  

Thank you 
K.K.



  

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου